Trends, Tips, and Snippets

This Blog was created due to my obsession with list making and keeping all of the things I wanted to buy organized. Eventually there were just too many lists, so I decided to start this, a blog where I could keep all of my thoughts, ideas, and prospective shopping all in one place.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Most Beautiful Suicide

I'm sure the last thing people think of when they visit the Empire State building's observatory deck is all of the suicides that took place there. One of the most famous is Evelyn McHale. On May 1, 1947 at 23-years-old, Evelyn jumped from the 86th floor and landed flat on top of a limousine parked outside the building. Robert Wiles, a photography student took a photo of Evelyn's body only seconds after her death. Although the roof of the limousine was completely crushed by the sheer force of her landing (the driver was not inside), her body itself was completely in tact. Often refereed to as the most beautiful suicide, the pictures (which ran in LIFE magazine on May 12 1947) show a tranquil and peaceful aftermath. On her persons police found a suicide note stating, "He is much better off without me ... I wouldn’t make a good wife for anybody." Andy Warhol later used the picture for his own print/painting entitled Suicide (Fallen Body). 

Robert Wiles Photograph


Suicide (Fallen Body)
by Andy Warhol

No comments:

Post a Comment