Trends, Tips, and Snippets

This Blog was created due to my obsession with list making and keeping all of the things I wanted to buy organized. Eventually there were just too many lists, so I decided to start this, a blog where I could keep all of my thoughts, ideas, and prospective shopping all in one place.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Valley Girl/ The Graduate



Just finished watching the 1983 movie Valley Girl, and I think it's no coincidence that it ends almost the same way as The Graduate does. In the Graduate, Ben (Dustin Hoffman) crashes Elaine's (Katherine Ross) wedding, fighting off everyone with a cross, and subsequently whisks her away. As they ride away after escaping in the back of a bus both look unsure of what they'd just done however. Valley Girls shows a similar ending in which Randy (Nicolas Cage) shows up to Julie's (Deborah Foreman) Prom and steals her away from prom date, Tommy. Randy fights Tommy (although not with a cross) and then Julie and Randy continue to fight off other prom guests by throwing food from the refreshments table. When Randy and Julie escape and are shown sitting in the back of the limo, the pair looks nervous and unsure just as the couple in the Graduate did, however they both get over it and begin to smile and feel assured of what they'd just done. The Graduate is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I must admit that Valley Girl (now that I've finally gotten around to watching it) is quickly rising to the top of my list as well. I love anything having to do with 80's pop culture, and feel that Valley Girl is highly under-represented compared to other 80's classics such as 16 Candles, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Say Anything, etc. (maybe because of its rather low budget in comparison to the other movies). Nevertheless, Valley Girl is definitely worth watching with its 80's fashion, hilarious "valspeak," and amazing New Wave soundtrack; it's considered a cult classic/favorite by many. Don't forget to mull over the many obvious and subtle similarities between Valley Girl and The Graduate while watching! (That is, unless I'm just imagining these overlaps).

2 comments: